PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2020, 09:43
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Sandison daughter, great pictures of your dad, his instructor, fellow student, and their Vultee BT-13 Valiant basic trainers. As Geriaviator states, it didn't impress Danny much, I'm afraid! Thank you for getting this venerable thread moving again.

The notes on spinning are typical of the bumf that service pilots amass from start to finish of their careers. Spinning recovery, long seen as a necessary part of the instructional syllabus, brought with it its own inherent risks and limitations. In my own training it excluded certain instructional aircraft. For instance, while still at school and attending my Air Cadet Flying Scholarship training at the Wiltshire School of Flying (Thruxton), we were taught on the Thruxton Jackaroo, a Tiger Moth (invariably ex RAF ones of course) converted from its two open cockpit layout to a supposedly 4 seater enclosed cabin one. It flew accordingly and was deemed non-aerobatic, so the spinning part of the PPL syllabus was done on a real Tiger Moth. The Air Cadets organisation provided for this by supplying all the paraphernalia so typically detailed by Danny. Unfortunately HQ Air Cadets were far more on the ball than Danny's own storemen, so no chance of retaining the fur lined boots as he did, nor indeed any of the flying kit at all. As an RAF trainee I was instructed on the JP3 and 4. Both were aerobatic but I seem to recall that the tip tanks on the JP3 had to be empty for aeros, including spinning. Can my contemporaries confirm?

BTW, wanting to reread Danny's description of his own flying clothing issues, I started re-reading his posts. Needless to say I am still doing so (page 228 and counting!). His technique of a descriptive passage followed by a Q&A exchange, then another passage (always followed with that idiosyncratic signing off with a well known phrase or saying) is a winner, and all of course in his wonderful use of the English language, if that isn't too much of a slur on his Irish ancestry! Of course, Dickens made his fortune writing in such instalments, though we now read him from continuous script. As with Dickens, in my view Danny's writing is even more enjoyable read on the fly as it were. So what was searching for a detail has become an indulgence of re-discovering the entire whole.

I commend this thought to the house (Outbreak of hear, hears. Rustling of order papers. Prolonged rustling of order papers, etc....)