PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire - USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 - 12 Jul 20
Old 15th Jul 2020, 09:02
Asturias56

Received 362 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by gileraguy
A friend had a job once which involved observing (physically watching) ANY hazardous work (e.g. grinding or welding etc.) on a ship undergoing maintainance in port.

He couldn't believe what he was seeing once when a guy was grinding at a high level and stood on a 20 litre drum of thinners to reach the desired height...

To quote Barnes Wallis " it's hard to make things fool-proof as the fools are so damn clever at finding a way round any precautions"

I've seen a worker hitting a stuck valve with a hammer beside an open orifice - had he succeed there was 10,000 psi gas ready to cut him in half - that was an hour after a safety briefing. I've seen someone refuel a small petrol engine which was red hot while it was still running by pouring petrol into the tank on top of the engine without even a funnel, I've seen someone place an open box of detonators on top of a pile of explosives on a small boat right next to the boarding point where people often jumped into the boat.............

I of course have done nothing so stupid......