PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2020, 08:40
Stickshift3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no 'one model fits all' scenario as to how this pandemic is playing out around the world. There has to be a reasoned, rational trade off between health (deaths), the economy and future prosperity. We have to accept that deaths will occur from COVID, if we don't we might as well spend all day inside wrapped in cotton wool.

The lockdowns have no doubt increased mental health issues, substance abuse, domestic violence and suicide rates. These issues will continue to increase as the economy goes to sh!t when government wage support ceases.

Unfortunately many governments (not all) will try anything to reduce the death numbers, regardless of whether those folk were 90+, immuno-compromised or generally just outlived their life expectancy. The negative media associated with any deaths is behind much of this aim - totally removed from the reality of the situation just to grab a few clicks on a news article.

What's the solution? I don't know.

'Flattening the curve' (infection suppression through restricted activities) was done in an effort to not overwhelm ICU bed availability. I'd suggest that if ICU beds are still available, then restrictions can be eased, however there appears to be around a 7-10 day lag on infections and ICU intake. This severely increases the difficulty for governments making policy on the fly.

People will continue to flout the rules as it suppresses their daily activities and, let's face it, the virus is hardly life-threatening to the majority; I can hardly blame them.