PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2020, 06:41
LapSap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
With the new outbreaks in Victoria it’s worth asking ‘the viewers at home’...

What is Australia’s strategy with COVID??

I'm with aviation-enthus on this.
Several countries, including Australia, seem to be unclear on what their end game is.
With no certainty of a vaccine coming along soon, some authorities seem to be hoping that by locking down, they will reach some kind of miraculous nirvana where everybody will be 100% safe.
Safe from what??
Before this pandemic, around 160,000 people died globally every day - of something. It may sound callous to say but there is every likelihood your immunocompromised mother and father with heart disease (and my 94 year old mum and 90 year old father or myself!) would succumb to something else in the next 5 years. Covid-19 is just another thing out there that is trying to get us and we have to deal with it like we deal with many other things.
To quote aviation-enthus again, the only sustainable way to deal with this is "Some sort of middle ground has to be found. Masks on, social distancing, build more ICU beds and PROPERLY isolate the vulnerable (especially in nursing homes etc)."
Are you really happy to continue living the way we are right now for the next 30 years if no vaccine comes along??? If not, what do you think is going to suddenly change?