PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2020, 17:59
SLXOwft

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
Which is why according to the old formula you need three ships to have one in peace time - 1 Operational, 1 in Refit ,1 Working up.in an emergency the work up can be curtailed to provide two - not possible if she is in pieces.

I don't see the parallel to the Java Sea they wouldn't be: lacking organic air power, lacking the weapon range to strike major opposing units, facing a vastly superior weapon and I suspect the PAN is a long way off obtaining the fighting efficiency of the IJN in 1942.

<RANT MODE ON>The UK ends up paying more for its ships and hence can't afford enough because it doesn't have a rolling ship building programme so can't improve incrementally and indulges in exceptionalism so can't share in international programmes. Look at the Wasps and Americas, major design changes over the lifetime of the programme in the case of the Wasps over 20 years (and the USN is big enough to stand alone), (Or the various incarnations of the Type 12 Whitby ordered 2/51 to Ariadne Laid Down 11/69) We may be getting it more right with aircraft though.<RANT MODE OFF>

Also Adm Radakin's priorities are fairly equal - he wasn't ranking them just saying what needs to be done.

I assume that QNLZ will get the Commando Mods in her first refit (assuming they are still required post SDSR)

Last edited by SLXOwft; 14th Jul 2020 at 18:09. Reason: Add QNLZ line