PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire - USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 - 12 Jul 20
Old 14th Jul 2020, 14:06
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
She's afloat, as far as we know she isn't holed below the waterline so they will pump it out - they will be concerned about contamination so maybe not into the dock. I would have thought rebuild will be a numbers game e.g.is new build more economic or restoring the capability at all too expensive? I don't know if the USN uses civilian contractors but if so and this was their fault, its going to be one expensive claim. Warships have comeback from heavier damage (from what we can see) - I can think of a number that lost their bows. I believe initially they were hoping to salvage the Shiny Sheff for rebuild. BHR isn't like the Vic which was due for the knackers yard within a maximum of five years and so a much smaller fire was a gift to a defence cutting government. I would have thought the hull integrity is prorbably still pretty good but I'm not an engineer - heating and cooling will have affected the metal though.

Admitedly, this is all guess work.

However, there still were concerns the ship may be damaged beyond repair due to the ferocity of the fire...
(Orac posted while I was typing)

Last edited by SLXOwft; 14th Jul 2020 at 15:30.