PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2020, 12:08
andyl999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandisondaughter
Some photos from June 1941, Class 42-A of the Arnold Scheme. My father is in the cockpit of what I assume to be a Vultee at Darr Aero Tech. He has no parachute strapped on, so I imagine this is the first time he had been in the cockpit and is simply posing for the photo? Note the sunburned nose - he came from Shetland and found the heat almost intolerable in Georgia!

Lt. Teeter was his first instructor and Bert O'Shaugnessy a fellow class 42A member.
The pictures of the aircraft underneath are off Texan (Harvard in the UK), You may notice that they have retractable undercarriage, whereas the Vultee has a fixed undercarriage.

If you look earlier in this forum you will find Reg Levy and my Uncle Vernon who where also in class 42A. Reg incidentally didn't like the Vultee which he cited shook and vibrated, they were removed from training at some time later.

I've just noticed that all the photos from Reg Levy's posts have suffered from Photobucket disease, when I get the time I will edit them and re-host them on another server.

Andy