PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1960 Viscount weather incident uncontrolled descent from 19,000 ft
Old 14th Jul 2020, 06:39
boaccomet4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometime in the 1990's I was invited by a friend who was part of the Aviation investigation team to visit the ATSB offices in Canberra. At the time they were discarding a boxes of the old air safety digests, pretty much anything in hard copy from both Australia and overseas. At the time I was interested in the BEA Trident Accident at on takeoff from Heathrow in 1972 and managed to get a hard copy of the report. My understanding is that incident and accident reports may have been transferred to microfilm and stored. As a boy I flew in Viscounts extensively and it sure was better from a passenger point of view than the old piston engine aircraft like the DC-3/DC 4. Sure did think the Ansett-ANA Vicounts with the Candy Stripe colour scheme looked hot. However every pilot with whom I have spoken to who operated the aircraft complained about the cockpit layout.
Interesting how the incident mentioned happened the year before VH-TVC was lost in a severe thunderstorm after take-off in Sydney.
Am surprised the incident mentioned in this discussion did not involve major structural failure.
I wonder how many seat covers required a change upon arrival!!