PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot lives....yes they matter
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2020, 15:20
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I very much dislike any "xyz ... lives matter" sentiments. ALL lives matter.

About pilots and the situation that they are (mostly) in, yup, the same as just about everyone else in the aviation industry. And a lot of people in many other industries.

However, pilots are amongst the highest earners in society so they have had ample opportunity to save something for that 'rainy day'. (Yes, I know this is more like a heavy thunderstorm.)

Regarding the huge training loans, one has to question getting hugely into debt to 'invest' in an unstable career. Every ten years or so the industry takes a hammering (1st Gulf War, '9/11', financial crash) with job losses and airline failures. On top of that is the risk of medical problems. And so it goes on. That is a very, very high risk 'investment' (that I doubt many financial advisers would advise?), especially to get into debt for it. There are more 'piecemeal' and less financially draining ways of training, but none of the "want it now" lot are prepared to do something that involves more common sense and is less 'cool'.

As regards a pilot's licence (ATPL) equating to a bachelor degree, they are entirely different: one is training for a 'technical' qualification, the other is education for an academic qualification.

Yes, things are tough. Very, very tough. For many, many people. Not just pilots. And all their lives matter.

So... Don't try to blame others. Don't think that you deserve 'special' treatment. (Much of the public see you as already starting with these present problems in a more 'privileged' position.) This is a huge shock for everyone. Try to get through it not feeling that you are a victim of actions of others. You are a victim of the same thing that is hitting everyone else. And, I'll repeat it, all their lives matter.

Aviation helped to spread this problem. BUT aviation has probably done more than most industries to promote world peace over the past half-a-century or more, by promoting trade and travel: people are far less likely to want to go to war with people that they met on holiday. People need to get back to travelling, so speak to all your friends and neighbours and tell them how safe and good air travel is for them. That is a first step towards helping yourselves.

But please ditch this discriminatory "xyz ... lives matter".