PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oceanic (Non HLA) contingency procedures
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2020, 12:40
Bert Stiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oceanic (Non HLA) contingency procedures

Any oceanic expert dudes care to comment?

Does the 45 degree / 15 nm / start action at 10 nm, general oceanic contingency offset principle apply to random tracking in oceanic airspace - in low to mid level bands - FL060 to FL280?

I ask the question because I have to write a manual and have seen other operator material, but not Authority information, to the effect that standard contingency actions do not apply as follows:

ICAO Doc 4444 subsection 15.2.2.3 a) gives the general contingency procedure (assuming no other clearance). This would seem to be universal in oceanic airspace in that it requires the aircraft to "leave its route or track". This general principle makes sense in the the vicinity of OTSs like PACOTS, NOPAC, WATRS etc, plus busier parts of the Indian and Pacific Oceans.

The NAT HLA is obviously different with its ICAO Doc 007 NAT Operations and Airspace Manual subsection 13.2 principles (30 degree turn / 5 nm offset).

However, ICAO Doc 007 NAT Operations and Airspace Manual Section 17 also covers operation below the NAT HLA and subsection 17.14 (contingencies) does not specify application of any offset manoeuvres. ICAO Doc 7030 NAT Supplementary procedures is likewise silent on specific contingency actions.

However, other support for the general procedure to apply (regardless that, for example, a specific random tracking flight at FL 260 may be the only flight at that level, in that vicinity, in that week or month) can be found in FAA notams e.g, where the NAT HLA procedure is referenced as being adopted outside of the AIP but there are notes to the effect that the general procedure still applies in Anchorage, Oakland Oceanic airspace "in their entirety" etc. This also seems to be the intent (though not stated) of FAA AC91-70B and US AIP ENR 7.3.

From personal experience when random tracking over the North Atlantic in the high teens and low twenties well below MNPSA as it was then, I didn't consider doing the specific offset but over the Pacific between Korea and Alaska at RVSM levels I did. Some manuals are better than others. Sorry if this contravenes the don't ask boring questions on the Forum Philosphy sticky.

Bert.

Last edited by Bert Stiles; 13th Jul 2020 at 10:35. Reason: Typo in Doc 007 reference.