PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot lives....yes they matter
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2020, 12:25
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
What astounds me when I read some posts is the total lack of empathy towards a fellow human.

The posters (you all know who I mean) who either look at a person struggling and think “ha, it serves you right” or look at someone with a better deal than themselves and think “that’s not fair, what about me?” are truly the most awful of people.
I'm not sure many are saying that BV..and I'm sure (though you didn't say it) that you realise many of us not in the military are hearing some real horror stories from younger colleagues ATM ( for example potential loss of all household income if both breadwinners are in the same airline and perhaps still with training loans to pay back), and we are all doing our level best to encourage people and help get them through this...However we should remember that there are similar conversations going on in households where the main earner(s) are cabin crew, ground staff, engineers etc, many of whom have play their part in keeping us safe, so I struggle with the idea that started this thread that somehow we need to provide the pilot cohort with special protection.

My guess is part of the problem is that for many this is a brutal introduction into what goes on in the commercial aviation sector in a downturn ( and I accept this is a outlier, but many of us have seen the knives come out during smaller downturns before, GW1, 9/11...). Fundamentally employees are completely expendable, and yes, that includes those who were enticed into the business by the promises made by the ATOs and others who sold the dream on the basis of a never ending pilot shortage.