PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot lives....yes they matter
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2020, 20:46
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Indeed 70 Mustang. My nephew mentioned in previous post, had just got himself in a pilot training company, where his experience could be paid one again and less than two months later? Lockdown. He has no idea if that job will ever return. Not least as he was last in the door.

In the past couple of days, I've read articles about other industries that have had changed forced upon them, or were already changing.

Movie making has already seen 'green screen' replace a lot of location shooting (ie travel). Now they are starting to use a combination of gaming video technology in action movies and beyond. They use very large 'LED walls' rather than green screen, so they can project the background at the time of filming. One example was for a film I have not seen (Rocketman) in the scene where the actor playing Elton John was meant to be in Shea Satdium NYC, it was filmed in the UK studio with the whole stadium and thousands of 'extras' on LED walls. So all the extras were not employed and no one had to fly to New York.

This year, Fashion Shows have gone online. All those designers, magazine people, models and staff were not flying the world. They might not be a large group but they are indicative of the changes.

In the UK, shopping malls were already in big financial trouble before Covid19. People buying online, avoiding old style High Streets? All was happening before. One of our largest shopping mall owners (Intu) has now gone bust. This past week, two major high street retailers (John Lewis and Boots) have announced store closures.

The Independent: "John Lewis says that between 60 per cent and 70 per cent of its sales will be made online this year. Last year, it was 40 per cent "

That is staff who will not be travelling the world to buy goods and staff not serving customers and so they will not be going on overseas holidays, possibly for some time.

As I said before, many of these trends were in process and Covid19 has simply pushed them to the front.