PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2020, 16:05
kenpimentel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I have more time, I've gone back to my book and I'm doing a major rewrite for various reasons. I wonder if some of those that helped me in the past are still able to do so. As a reminder, I'm writing a book on an American Airlines 777-200ER that survives a ditching and winds up on a beach. Most of the crew survive and the plane is in two pieces (so never flying again), but there were no major fires. There is a "flying spanner" on board, who knows what parts of the 777 can be used for different solutions to survival problems. This is a work of alternate history and does involve a trip to the past - so the island is basically uninhabited and there are no modern support systems (no rescue teams, no satellites, no comms - other than what they can create). The people are on their own - with a 777 to dismember and whatever is in cargo/luggage.

Questions:
1) Are there more than one Auxiliary Survival Kit? Reference on a 777?
2) I need to create a water distiller, I’m wondering if the AC units on the plane could function as such. I would remove the evaporation coils (or grid?) and pipe steam through it while immersed in colder water.

thanks!
ken