PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CIA history of the A-12
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2020, 15:48
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Good point FALL I know Brian personally 'cause I was one of his instructors at a USAF charm school and also a fellow Green Demon member - first operational A-10 and also A-7D unit.

He grew a bit more "flavorful" since I worked with him in the late 70's, but his crash survival "lessons" are valid and should be promulgated. He has gone thru more surgery than any human being you know, and he gave me his first book "26 Operations".

I was very surprised he got the SR-71 assignment, but his story or two from then are good ones.

The You Tube video is a good one, but I have lost the link I had during last "clean up". Should not be hard to find once on a You Tube video.
=========================
As with many here, I was surprised the government stored the A-12's and not have USAF "borrow" them.

Nevertheless, the SR did great work for a coupla decades while the satellite folks were still refining their equipment. Remember! We ( USAF and the Company) did not have the cosmic digital cameras and then the increasing resolution and digital downloads and then......... Original satellite stuff was actual film and ejected canisters that came down near Hawaii and captured mid-air by C-119 planes.

Gums sends...