PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low level over the sea
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2020, 11:39
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HAS59
The Hercs used to do a low level RIB drop with a few divers parachuting into the sea to join it. Maybe it was something similar.
Used to do that in the Solent IIR with the droppable SLF + Aircraft based at Lee. Always wondered about the peeps jumping out the back .... till I met a few! That explained everything - absolute nutters they were!

Also had a tale told to me that, back in the 70's, the Soviets tried deploying troops ultra-low-level into deep snow - a number of odd ultra-low runs by suitable aicraft being observed one particularly hard Winter not far from the E/W German border as was. Turned out the plan was to save on parachutes. Seems the trials were very short-lived.

The person who told me seemed to (a) genuinely know what they were on about and (b) seemed not to have any good reason to take the pi$$ out of H 'n' H so I assume the above is a genuine "dit", as far-fetched as it sounds. But, years on after the tale was told to me I'm still not 100% sure it was (a) or whether they were just very good at (b)!