PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 11th Jul 2020, 08:00
14 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once in my own country and you are right, it was quite manageable. The second time, unfortunately, was in a country very far away, where the luxury of speaking English to someone and be understood was a rare commodity. The 9 months prior to our termination date were characterised by silence and then denials from top management. We all suffered from disbelief, which quickly turned into anger and finally, after we realised that the pension fund never existed, it turned into dispair. The breakthrough for my family came the moment we realised that we were mere guests in a foreign country, depending upon the goodwill of our hosts. We could not demand anything (Not even the report cards of my 2 school going children. You see, we could not pay the astronomical, final school fees with zero salary!) Even our tickets home were cancelled 24h prior to departure. Eventually, we were able to fly due to a charitable act from the same CEO who fired us.

This current unfair treatment is not new to me, but I said it then and now again......realise where you are and that you are only here because your host is allowing it. There are no demands to be made. Granted, many people have not lived my experience, so first time around is a bit of a shock.

In defence of the company (which doesn’t mean I think what is happening, is remotely acceptable), it appears as though the termination process is not as harsh as was dished out in the example quoted above. Devastating none the less!

Last edited by 14 6; 11th Jul 2020 at 08:33.