PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 11th Jul 2020, 07:15
14 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Rex Havoc
146 Do you deny that people have been advocating the pressing of 2 without being sick?

Of course that happened - why? Do you think it was just because they wanted to take a day off and go to the beach, no - it happened when people were left no other option after a draconian rostering system that’s was milking rosters of pilots of over 100 hours a month, denying leave to attend life events and generally self managing a broken system to mitigate fatigue. Oh the irony just 12 month ago, the A380 folk were the most productive in the company, flying over 1000 hours for the year. Pressing 2 was not a crime, it was actually permitted in the oma, 2 self certified days a calendar month. A VERY VERY SMALL MINORITY OF PILOTS ‘abused’ that system. On the first round of culls, myself included there were guys with commendation letters for no sick leave. In my case I have never failed any thing In my carreer nor been sick excessively nor was on any type of warning. 14 years in the company - and let go without any thing published from the company. Hey you defend them. There were guys let go who had failed sims in the past, or upgrades, WTF - how do yo justify that metric? Why is it do you think that the company is not releasing the metrics used for the cull decisions? It’s just like when the company denied access to the seniority list. WRT Mein Kampf, it is not a ‘punishment’ to read, it should be compulsory, same with ‘1984’, to think otherwise is very millennial of you. Oh and one final thing on this “guest’ term that gets bandied around ad nauseum, No expat is a ‘guest’ here, that’s like saying when you are in your home country and you need a plumber, you invite him/her over to your house a guest. No you are hiring them for a job and you pay them for it, you should treat them with courtesy and respect, but make no bones about it, they are not a ‘guest’.
Here we go again......”VERY VERY SMALL MINORITY OF PILOTS”! How do you know the number? Do you have a list? I have heard many talk about this over the years! Granted, it could only have been through away lines, but nether the less it found the way to people’s ears. Just because you say that you have not abused the system, does not negate the fact that others have. We were all flying heavy rosters, what makes you think that by pressing 2 you are not going to cause more misery in some other poor colleague’s life? Going to KBL is a good example. No one is going to avoid it in the long run. What do you think is the more considerate option? Seeing it on your roster and having ample time to prepare mentally and physically for it or letting the poor bloke on a 30min call out deal with it on your behalf? I am not defending the company at all, I am asking fellow pilots to stop with a practice which is hurting others. Enough said on this topic now.

Regarding you plumber story.......that is the worst example anyone could have come up with. A plumber will enter my house on one condition only and that is upon my explicit invitation to do so. Any other way would be considered “breaking and entering”! He will comply with every single house rule I have, starting with leaving his muddy boots outside! I will greet him with friendliness and respect (just like my hosts here have done with me) and afterwards pay him the agreed upon fee. Should this guest now flop down on my couch and ask my wife for a “cuppa”, he will be shown the door very quickly. See how this works?