PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 11th Jul 2020, 06:22
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some are mixing up different problems.

Unfair dismissal.

The dismissals themselves are no disgrace. The US business model of hire – fire always applied and that is by no means a surprise, the surprised should introspect a bit before lashing out. The parameters are very much debatable, but again, there is no surprise as to them, the ME has not adopted new procedures. There was always the mercenary aspect to the jobs around here. Empathy? Has never been around before, so why should any local business adopt it in these catastrophic times?

“It’s hard to invoke justice in redundancies. Even LIFO hits those who don’t deserve it. For all those blaming the company for their sacking, think of it, you’re basically just asking them to pick another. So much for the famous solidarity.”

A380

To quote Don: “We both know that EK had no choice other than that aeroplane” and Dropp: “groteskly inefficient device” just shows the spectrum of interpretation as to the 380.

EK was not coerced to buy the 380, many people inside the industry (may I include myself) said from the very first moment that it would bite its owners back in the proverbial at the slightest crisis, as it might be efficient when full, but (maybe not exactly groteskly, but close to) inefficient when not.

Its appeal led too many wanting to fly it and some arrogant managers thinking they exclusively can beat physics. Just look at AARs trumpian denial of reality when pretending to get back up to 70% of 380s by December! Now both are stuck with it. One sided dismissals were always on the table due to cost.

That companies in decimating crews give preference to locals is nothing but normal. Imagine BA or LH sacking locals and keeping foreigners ….. would’t go down well with your MP, would it? Safety aspect in that? Was never on the table, even before Covid.

Comparing other employees with pilots

You will never be able to truly compare these different employee categories. In trying, there are only traps around the words. Pilots lose their practicing rights within a much shorter time as most others. Their license is under more scrutiny and limitations when crossing any boundary.

We can empathize with fellow employees, but should refrain from cross-referencing.

Handlers

Be careful. One can change handler overnight to avoid retribution, or when changing views.

I respect long time contributors, but some new contributions as well.