PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot lives....yes they matter
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2020, 19:09
FMS82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read these forums with great interest, and have refrained from commenting much, as I merely am SLF. Here's 2 cents

I come from a flying family, and have seriously considered a career as one of you guys, but was fortunate enough to have a sneak peak of what pilot life would offer I chose a career in engineering instead. You have my sympathy for what is happening to your industry, and I see many sensible comments on here that show a sense of urgency reflective of the situation the world is in.

However, I also see a persistent amount of denial, with wild predictions of holiday travel booming back up once the time is right.
​​​​That would be nice indeed, but what pays your package is not that once-a-year tourist. It is (was) the business clientele closer to the pointy end. I used to be one of them, but can assure me and my colleagues will not be flying much for the foreseeable future. The worst news is that we don't miss it for a minute.

The thing is we were forced to learn a few new tricks in the last months, and online productivity tools have taken a great leap, such that meetings that required face 2 face contact in the past, can now be done comfortably and productively on a remote basis. We love it, and I am sure I speak on behalf of many of my peers.

Something changed. Traffic is not coming back to the old levels.

Wake up, smell that coffee, and rejig your life to find a meaningful and fulfilling alternative source of income. If flying is part of that, great, but don't expect to make as great a living or if it as you may have been used to.

​​​