PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2020, 18:30
SLXOwft

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
Apologies for harping on about this.
The Royal Navy's Merlin Mark 2 and Mark 4/4A helicopters are currently planned to go out of service in 2029 and 2030 respectively. The Ministry of Defence keeps the out of service dates for all equipment under regular and routine review.
Jeremy Quin MP MoS (MoD.) on 7 July 2020 in reply to a written question from Kevan Jones MP (former ParliamentaryUS (Veterans) and Shadow Defence Minister and member of the HoC Defence Select Committee)
As well as seeing FOC for Crowsnest, 2023 should see the completion of the incremental improvements to Merlin HM.2 under the ASW Spearhead Multi Static Active sonar capability programme. As currently planned both will phased out in 2029. Back in 2015 the then head of JHC, Maj. Gen. Richard Felton wanted to extend the OSD for Puma to align it with that of Merlin - so there could be a common requirement for a furture medium lift helicopter. However this would be contrary to MoDs four core fleets strategy.

I know this is to some extent facetious but the Sea King Replacment requirement was issued in 1977 the first EH101 flew in 1987, Merlin entered service in 1997 (RAF) and 1998 (RN). So twenty years plus from requirement to an operational capability. I cannot remember and cannot find any public references to a requirement for a Merlin replacement. SDSR2015 only mentions the current RW fleets with the new Apaches being seen as a virtual upgrade rather than replacement. there is also nothing in 2018's Mobilising, Modernising & Transforming Defence. Surely, unless there is a firm intention to buy OTS should an Merlin Replacement requirement have been long in the public domain? If OTS then what's out therewWith HMGs commitment to invest in the economy perumably they would be looking at UK manufacture is this going to mean licence production, the only similar size replacement I can see in Leonardo's portfolio is new Merlins but I don't see an advance like the Apache fronm D to E. If the CHF condinues to exist it would make sense to look at the US Army /USMC FLV JMR-Heavy Chinook replacement but apparently Boeing is working on the basis of 2060 not the original 2035. Does that mean a merger of CHF and SH with new marinized Chinooks with F35 style cross service manning and tasking? For ASW/ASsC does this mean looking at RPAS / AutonomousUAV following a life extension. I would think the MH-60R will not be feasible evenn though it sitll be the USN's platform of choice; by 2029 I would think they will be well into looking at what should replace it.

Or does this all boil down to more OSD extensions as a result of kicking the can down the road?