PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot lives....yes they matter
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2020, 18:03
guy_incognito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickler
Meester proach is totally right. I just laugh when I read all the nonsense about "finding a way out" or read posts on social media on how managers should hire pilots in their industries because we do have certain qualities, we pass our OPCs and medicals and so on... come on... nobody cares. The truth is You either have other qualifications and experience besides being a professional pilot or You will end up with a poorly paid lower classup job. It's as simple as it is. Besides getting a masters in Your 40s without any work experience outside the flight deck might help a bit, but it's a time (and money) consuming commitment and most people with families and bills to be paid simply can't afford the deal.
Exactly this. The majority of pilots have no relevant and/or recent alternative qualifications and little in the way of transferable skills. The types of jobs open to pilots are unskilled, minimum wage jobs. It is fanciful to suggest that we'd be competitive even for entry level graduate positions.

It is impossible to overstate how horrendous the situation is for pilots with mortgages, childcare/ school fees, training loans etc. to pay. I don't to see how any pilot will ever be able to commit to buying a house or even to starting a family; there is simply too much risk. The future for those "lucky enough" to find another flying job looks likely to be temporary contracts on a fraction of the salaries previously offered. This career is dead.