PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot lives....yes they matter
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2020, 07:02
vlieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bindair Dundat
I’m not convinced of the dire economic predictions. I’m surrounded by professionals in various fields ranging from healthcare to tech to banking where the pandemic has been nothing more than a nuisance. Their financial fortunes are little changed and they are waiting for things to go back to normal.
By no means representative, but the apocalyptic narrative is overdone. The other side of the fence is in the travel and tourism sector and yes, life sucks at the moment. Is the entire planet going to revert to RV vacations for the long term? A new normal will emerge and it will be a million times better and more profitable if industry is intelligent about it.
The problem with a statement like this is there is a lot of wishful thinking going on. There's a very interesting article in the Financial Times today that describes how we are sitting on a house of cards (debt) and the way capitalism is organised and leveraged these days makes it very easy for the whole thing to collapse. I would say that the economic picture is indeed very grim and commentators like Martin Wolf echo sentiments like that.
The OP may think of himself as a capitalist but if you work for a wage you are a worker.
​​​​​​
https://www.ft.com/content/c732fded-...omments-anchor