PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS - The Political Farce Continued (Thread 5)
Old 28th Nov 2003, 13:29
piniped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Downturn in GA

To all the AOPA guys out there that seem to believe that NAS is the panacea to the current downturn in GA in this country.

Interesting article in a recent Flight magazine said that it is a Global downturn in GA...so do you really believe that we here in OZ can reverse the trend using some ill conceived "new" ideas?
Or are you all that insular that you don't think the global market affects us in Oz?

I remember back in the good old days of full reporting, Flight Service, Controlled airspace and OCTA.

The GA industry was booming...even with all that extra "gold plated" stuff going on. Now why was that?

I don't remember too many VFR guys getting knocked back (unless it was a VFR helo trying to get from Terry Hills into his office in the SY CTR, back in the dark ages).
That change to the SY CTR was overdue, and Dick should be applauded for his tireless efforts in getting it brought in.
Many people will say that it was mainly for his own benefit that he went to all that trouble..doesn't matter really, he did it and it was worth while.

Unfortunately, it seems that it may have created a monster that could only see his own point of view.

Can anyone from the pro NAS camp, come out in the national media and state that this system is safer than what was previously in place? Or is it merely affordably more safe, and how exactly is that being determined.

I can only echo what others have said far more eloquently than I, if the VFR guys are basically opting out of the system in a user pays system, why is anyone paying them any notice? Surely the heavy metal end of town and IFR guys (who will be footing the bills) should have just about the first last and every word on the subject.

The VFR guys are there for their own pleasure, the others have to use the airspace for their livelihood.

Snarek, if you can afford to own and run an aircraft, you can afford to have the thing fitted out with what is required for the safe flight (to yourself and other airspace users). You will not get too many people feeling sympathy for a private aircraft owner when they may be flying in an RPT aircraft and they come into close proximity to a non ssr equipped buggy.

PS how come you haven't used your other handle of ULM for a while?