PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 9th Jul 2020, 14:04
Fired600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the BIG picture here is that we all knew that there would have to be redundancies. Well are all adults and all realised the writing was on the wall. The problem is that we expected it to be done fairly, with transparency and with care, accessing the options and giving the pilot body some choices in the matter.

The problem is that they have just enacted some slash and burn policy with no regard to individuals livelihoods, dedication or ability. We would all expect people who called sick every Thursday and Friday to be in the firing line, they would have as well. We would all expect the ‘troublemakers’ to be in the firing line, they would have as well. We would all expect the poor performers with multiple simulator, line check problems to be in the firing line, they would as well.

We didn’t expect the total opposite where individuals appear to have been fired on the basis of medical operations, picking on the weakest who have fought back to be entirely productive again. People who had faultless records tossed away like old rags where people with poor performance are kept. People with many years of dedicated service and mountains of experience thrown to the floor where those with little experience are still employed.

Had this been done in a fare and transparent manner people would still have been angry and annoyed but they would have understood. The remaining pilots would have had some feeling of justice in a system that valued them and they would have continued to operate knowing they were valued members of the team. Stress levels and safety would have been upheld and the rest of the world would have looked on and also understood realising that in tough times that Emirates was at least fare.

Now the remaining pilots live in fear. The dread the ping of a new email, just in case its the sound of the axe falling on them this time. Fear and stress levels are at an all time high and the dedication and loyalty of the remaining few is at an all time low.

The heart of the company has been ripped out and destroyed. The image of the company within the worldwide pilot body has been destroyed, only the desperate would willingly come here in the future now, for fear of their own future. Safety is number one, how can this be safe, a rudderless ship, no management willing to take the helm and lead. Leadership is a skill that is obviously sorely lacking. Respect is earned and goes both ways, once lost it is next to impossible to regain. Respect has obviously been totally lost.

When the industry comes back in the next few years, Emirates will have an uphill struggle with hiring and maintaining a quality workforce. I would wish them luck, but actually I dont. My respect for them has melted faster that a snowball in the July sun.