PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2020, 08:32
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LOMCEVAK

I believe that with a manslaughter charge such as the one that is being discussed here the verdict has to be based upon 'beyond reasonable doubt' rather than a 'balance of probability' (legalapproach please correct me if I am wrong).
I should have put "Just because a Court decides that, on the balance of probability, something happened in a certain way actually has no bearing at all on whether it actually happened or not in that way." H 'n' H trying to sound "intelligent" backfires on him yet again!!! You'd think I'd learn.......!

However, my error does not detract from the heart of my Post, which was put far better than I did by Thud105 a few posts up and that is that the legal-beagles "still do their very best to help their client avoid ‘Justice’ by careful manipulation of ‘The Law’" (which is even their Duty so I believe - as a laybod I hasten to add) and by GeeRam that, from their own experience, has observed a case where "........ the defence team ........ utterly confused and brain-numbed most of the jury, who had been given enough 'seeds of doubt'....to bring a not guilty verdict despite the hard evidence presented.".

Quite what was/was not applicable to the Case under discussion in this Thread I know not, nor care, as it changes nothing in the Case in question, nor will it change the way legal things are run in the future (particularly given my experience with my Judge-"friend" and others I've met who are in the legal world) - just that my faith in Justice generally being done within the UK legal system is, well, virtually zero! As POBJOY says, "and this is why the trial did not get to the root cause" - the "players" only looked at what suited them in terms of the basis for the prosecution and the subsequent defence. As just another jockey said, "The system failed those victims and their families". Actually, that's "systems" - the Aviation one and the Legal one!

I'm not sure what the mathematical term is for a graph with two peaks, one at either end and a smattering in the middle (a Camel Curve maybe? I'm sure several PPRuNers will know). If you took a straw poll here, today, based on all that is known, observed, guessed or derived by some other means, with "Totally professionally executed display written off by a CI event" through to "A series of intentionally flown deviations (which did not, I hasten to add, have the intent to crash the jet - just to produce an ace display)" I'd expect something like a Camel Curve to emerge.

Ah well, I've had my say - I'll slink back and await that effigy of H 'n' H to be constructed by Legalapproach - clearly, La was busy doing other things yesterday so no stabbing pains ..... yet!!!!