PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farewell Events
Thread: Farewell Events
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2020, 00:00
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Way, way pre COVID, in 2008 in fact, Owen was a Sydney 767 Captain. He became 767 tech pilot a couple of years later- 2010 or 2011, can’t remember which. That’s when he got his management guernsey. In 2014 he was told he was going to the 747.

Post Covid? As a line pilot SYD A330 Captain, BNE A330 Captain, MEL A330 Captain, PER 787 Captain are all realistic options given there are a number of Captains junior to him in those bases. If Qantas wants him in a management role then on the 787 in SYD then that’s where he’ll be- like the 20 other pilots both senior and junior to him who are in SVY roles on the 787 in SYD.

Management prerogative has been going since at least ‘97 (maybe earlier, can’t remember the exact year) when a 737 Captain was transferred to the 767 without the required seniority. He wasn’t even on the LHEA when he was transferred so clearly the EA is irrelevant in those circumstances. Since Owen’s transfer to the 747 in 2014 I can think of six other occasions where people have been transferred fleets and/or bases well outside of their seniority to fulfil a management/ SVY position. There were probably some between ‘97 and 2014 as well but I wasn’t paying attention. In fact the 787 as recently as it’s introduction is a great example where we have trainers appointed to the fleet regardless of seniority. Similarly with the A380 introduction. No doubt that is likely to occur with the A350 introduction also.

So the ‘lack of seniority’ line of argument is pretty meaningless given the ‘management prerogative’ and the ability to base specific SVY crew wherever they like has been well established for at least two decades. That makes your whinge against Owen and where he may end up post 747 retirement either a personal one, or a selective one based on the fleet he went to in 2014. Personal vendetta or selective sour sour grapes? Your call I guess.

Really, some people are holding on way too hard and Captain Weaver is featuring way too large in their mind. His role attracts a degree of angst and bitterness that few other management prerogative positions have attracted. Snide comments such as ‘weasel’ used here and on Qrewroom are childish. I’m was disappointed to see the term on Qrewroom. I held that poster in much higher regard than that.

Then again, as you say, many compatriots may not agree with my position.

Last edited by Keg; 9th Jul 2020 at 00:13.