PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning advice from 1936
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2020, 18:44
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
Having not flown a Pitts, I would presume this would be for the uncertified version, as the certified version would have had to demonstrate being recovered from a one turn spin, in one additional turn to be certified at all....!
nope, that’s for normal category aircraft. Per the FAR23 Flight Test Guide:

”(ii) The airplane will recover in not more than 1 1/2 turns after completing application of normal or manufacturer-prescribed recovery controls”

and
”Following abused control usage, reversion to normal pro-spin controls for up to two turns is acceptable, prior to the normal recovery control inputs, which must result in recovery in not more than two turns. In addition, going directly from the control abuse condition to the normal recovery control condition should not render the spin unrecoverable. For example, after evaluating the effect of relaxing the back stick input during the spin, it would be reasonable to expect the pilot to apply normal recovery use of rudder and elevator without first returning to full back stick.”
So, 2 + 2 = 4 turns from when one stops the abused control usage i.e. from when one decides to recover from the flat spin.

plus
”(8) Recovery. Recoveries should consist of throttle reduced to idle, ailerons neutralized, full opposite rudder, followed by forward elevator control as required to get the wing out of stall and recover to level flight. For acrobatic category spins, the manufacturer may establish additional recovery procedures, provided they show compliance for those procedures with this section.” Check the AFM or the cockpit placard for statements something like .... for flat spins use inspin aileron.

The certification test pilot will use exactly the correct technique when demonstrating spin recoveries. I’ve flown most model Pitts (currently own an S-2C) including all of the certified factory production models - they do exactly what is promised.