PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2020, 14:54
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
Airsound

I hope you don’t mind me continuing the conversation but it genuinely fascinates me.

I have a few other thoughts.

Firstly the lack of research into CI may well be something that should be rectified. From the defence point of view that was probably a good thing of course. A little understood phenomenon is a perfect way to sew seeds of doubt into the minds of a jury. I realise that sounds like I am accusing them of Machiavellianism but I am just pointing out how a legal defence works in reality.

I have been reading a lot today about the series of handling errors put forward by Dr Jarvis and the assumed level of experience of AH. Presumably Dr Jarvis was told that AH was experienced by people who were effectively on his side or believed that the total of 14000 hours were all relevant. I agree that is an awful lot more hours than I have but then my FJ total is more than double AH’s (and very recent) and I’m still telling you that I dispute the ‘experienced’ claim. I’m not a doctor but I do understand flying.

If Dr Jarvis had been convinced that AH was not the highly experienced aviator he was led to believe I wonder if his conclusions would have been the same?

My final thought for now, because I have to go out, is regarding the assertion that the aircraft was not under control as it descended from the loop.

Here is where I will bow to the knowledge of Hunter pilots. Surely to pull through from a loop that has apexed at 2800’ actually requires incredible skill and concentration. Any lack of consciousness or awareness would surely have resulted in a vertical ground impact rather than a (miraculously) survivable almost level attitude?

I can only put this accident into Hawk terms but I know that if I were to apex 1500’ lower than intended and continued the manoeuvre I would be incredibly lucky to complete the second half before ground impact. I can’t imagine a Hunter is markedly different in that regard.

I know you and I are never likely to agree on this (yes I know you sat in court and I fully understand my thoughts really don’t matter in the grand scheme of things) but I think we can both accept that in any court case an innocent verdict does not mean that the complete truth has been presented and accepted.

Please don’t take any of this personally but, as you can see, some of us are having a hard time accepting the stated course of events.

BV