PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farewell Events
Thread: Farewell Events
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2020, 14:21
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Defending the indefensible? The company has moved management Captains around however they liked since before I joined 25+ years ago. Owen wasn’t the first. He’s certainly not the last with a few since then. If his move to the 747 took up much more than 2 minutes at COM then what a complete waste of everyone’s time.

Moving the goal posts back to 2015 as ‘pre Covid’? Clutching at straws a bit aren’t we?

Owen is senior to me. I’m a widebody Captain (in multiple senses) in Sydney. So if Owen wasn’t in a management position then pre COVID he would have been an A330 Captain in Sydney. That’s a long way removed from your alleged 737 ADL command.

Post Covid? Who knows. I suspect there will be a shuffling of deck chairs in Flight Ops given the need to tighten belts. Maybe he’ll get a guernsey in whatever the framework turns out to be, maybe not. If not then post RIN he’ll go where his seniority permits him the same as everyone else. If he does get a guernsey then good on him and he’ll go to where they want him to go.

I don’t know why Owen was offered the 747 tech job. Have you tried asking Mike or Dick? They may tell you. Whether he was a patch on his predecessor I don’t know. Clearly the Chief Pilot wanted him in the role given he had to approve it regardless of whatever influence you think a ‘patron’ may have had. (Good word though, don’t hear it often enough these days. Not sure it’s the right one for this example but I still like the word).

It’s funny that pointing out facts is seen as ‘hero worshipping’.

Many of my compatriots don’t agree with me on many things. That’s rarely worried me in the past. It’s not going to start worrying me now.