PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farewell Events
Thread: Farewell Events
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2020, 13:24
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Well obviously you don’t know the story then stiffwing.

No. He didn’t apply for the 747 tech job. It wasn’t advertised. He’d applied for and had been doing the tech job on the 767 for a few years. He was told when the 767 was retiring that the Chief Pilot wanted him on the 747. Captain Weaver said ‘are you sure’ because he was very aware that he was well junior. He also suggested the 737. He was told ‘yes, we’re sure’. I’m not sure how or when he went from 747 Tech to Head of Boeing Fleet. That was a few years ago though.

I know that Captain Weaver has NOT done all of the 747 disposal flights. Captain Gardiner has done some also. I’m not sure whether Captain Weaver has operated his flights as PIC. Normally someone else operated to LAX and Captain Weaver was along for the ride as a S/O? Perhaps he’s operated PIC LAX-MHV or LAX-VCV sector? I think they used to have a requirement of ‘previous experience’ to operate a ferry flight into there. I know on some 767 disposals flights he wasn’t PIC though he was in a control seat. To be honest I haven’t kept up to speed on the specifics of each flight- never had a need to. Certainly on some of the 767 disposal flights he was in the control seat but not the PIC or PF for many of the sectors into VCV.

As to other 747 ‘supervisories’, who are they at the moment? I think Captain Weaver is the only one. A decision not of his making also. In terms of ‘sharing’ there are three Captains allocated to command these farewell flights ex SYD, CBR and BNE. Captain Weaver is not one of them. Captain Weaver is not commanding the flight ex SYD to LAX. My understanding is that he is not commanding the flight ex LAX to VCV (or Mojave... not sure where it’s going).

All of this information is available through Base Ops if one asks which is where I found out about the SYD-LAX flights.