PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning advice from 1936
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2020, 11:20
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I also entirely agree with Fl1ingfrog's post.

One of the elements of student learning, which both the student and instructor must understand and compensate for, is the student being so saturated by something new, that their only reaction is "what just happened?", while nothing was learned. This applies to many things which occur in a short period of time, beyond just spinning. However, spin training has been sacrificed in today's training environment, so it'll be the first to be misunderstood.

So the instructor should thoroughly brief, and then enter and recover as opposite as possible to "wham, bam, thank you Sam", brief it and slow it down. The student preparing by watching videos, to get a sense of what to expect, however, the viewer cannot be certain if the video represents a well accomplished spin, or a botch. I've seen lots of botched piloting maneuvers on video, and rarely does the performer say "wow, that was a both, don't do that!". Similar with un mentored use of home computer flight simulators.

It is a surprisingly basic problem with these type of maneuvers that once the pilot has a windshield full of rotating ground, and no horizon, their sense of attitude is not only lost, but worse, there is a sense of urgency from the ground rush. This can promote botched recoveries, as the student will rush a recovery, and secondary stall. Honestly, though I very much promote spin training, if I had to choose only one, between spin or spiral dive training, it'd be spiral dive training. Spiral dives are more likely to be carelessly entered at altitudes from which recovery is possible. It is uncommon for a pilot in "normal" flight to enter an unintentional spin at altitude, but a loss of control at altitude from cruise flight will more likely become a spiral dive than a spin, and the spiral dive is very recoverable early on.

But yes, find a competent instructor, with a spin approved plane, and go get some spin training. You'll know that you're about to get some good training when the session begins with a non rushed briefing, which includes the instructor's hand pointing up and down, and rolling. Follow along with your hand for the practice....