PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning advice from 1936
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2020, 08:17
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Most important when spin training, in support of safety, is to understand each stage of the spin and the various scenarios that can lead to it. The stall/spin recovery is simply unravelling the cause/s in reverse. It should not be an aerobatic exercise. The wham, bam , thank you sam approach does not work. The instructor in my view must always ensure that the pilot is not disorientated nor frightened more than they already will be, for this will be counter productive. Confidence that recovery is always possible is paramount. The unintended stall/spin will always be from a benign entry caused by naive pilot mishandling, it will not be from an extreme attitude. Prevention is always better than the cure.

Frightening and disorientating the student is counter productive. I've lost count of the number of pilots that I've had to spend time with over the decades unravelling the fear they have of stalling, even the word itself. There were (perhaps even now) too many chauvinistic instructors who sought to demonstrate their manhood instead of ensuring that the student has the confidence that the stall can, with certainty, be recovered by doing the correct things.