PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2020, 17:39
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes it so hard to look at this like a human among humans? Instead of top down, "us against them" "we" won, kind of flagwaving? Is it strong or weak? For what I said, why does it matter if I have a Dutch flag in my profile, or a Turkish, American or Chinese one? I served? My race? My religion? Skin? The size of my house? Shouldn't we look at the message instead of the messenger?

Maybe we and our pre ancestors were programmed that way. We, but "them" even more of course. Keeping moral distance, focussed, blind when required, trained to stand behind superiority walls we didn't erect. Rewarded for getting the job done. Like the millions of executors in the bloody twentieth century.

Hopefully the twentieth century remains the bloodiest one for ever. WW2 being the blackest pages in the book. I have a slight hope communication these days is so quick, widespread, two way, it becomes hard to steer, embed, dismiss, manipulate. Harder to hide because in your face in minutes. Also if it doesn't fit agendas / desired perceptions. However the recent fake-news / manipulation revelations and their effects are worrying..

Thank you for the link, never saw this page. Lot's of observation that surprise me, being raised here. Would it be valuable if all wiki pages on national topics can be written by anybody but nationals? I think probably most history books are written the brits, likely the best one too. But I would avoid reading a book on Brittish recent history, written by a British citizen. Let a skilled writer / team from elsewhere have an objective look..

Last edited by keesje; 7th Jul 2020 at 18:17.