PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2020, 15:29
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
I'd just put a word in for the Dutch people. A more troublesome population for the Nazis to lord it over would be difficult to imagine. They had 5000 German Police to try to keep them in order and the Netherlands had a greater percentage of SS than any of the other Western European countries (as we found to our cost in Market Garden). I had the privilege with my crew of dropping a token stick of paras into one of the Arnhem DZ's on the anniversary date. The enormous extent of its heathland was full of Dutch people, leaving only a postage stamp sized DZ for the stick to land in, which they managed to do. The hospitality was humbling and the anti German sentiment still palpable. BTW, did you know that Audrey Hepburn was Dutch and survived the Hunger Winter as a young girl? It is what drove her to dedicate herself to UNICEF in later life.

Lonewolf, your snipe at the Daily Mail is your prerogative of course, and will gain you much favour amongst those who castigate it even while quoting from it. It has the largest circulation of any UK newspaper and to my mind is no more a bucket full of swill than any of the others. As has been already established though, my objectivity is open to question...