PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian MV-22 purchase
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2020, 14:10
Lonewolf_50

Received 412 Likes on 257 Posts
I am guessing that this sale is either an outright appropriation of US funds, or, is a loan guarantee deal. I'll see what I can dig up in detail on that, but it looks to me to be similar to a helicopter deal with Turkey about 20 years ago ... might be some commercial offsets involved as well
Source = Defense.news
... Indonesia was cleared to spend an estimated $2 billion to buy eight MV-22 Block C Osprey aircraft. Also included are 24 AE 1107C Rolls-Royce engines; 20 each of the AN/AAQ-27 forward-Looking infrared radars, AN/AAR-47 missile warning systems and AN/APR-39 radar warning receivers; and 20 each of the M-240-D 7.64mm machine guns and GAU-21 machine guns, among other gear.

The potential sale is announced at a time when the U.S. is seeking to beef up both its presence and the capabilities of partner nations in the Pacific in order to blunt Chinese interests in the region. This is the first DSCA notification of an arms sale to Indonesia since at least September 2017.

“This proposed sale will support the foreign policy goals and national security objectives of the United States by improving the security of an important regional partner that is a force for political stability, and economic progress in the Asia-Pacific region. It is vital to U.S. national interest to assist Indonesia in developing and maintaining a strong and effective self-defense capability,” the DSCA notification read, adding the sale will “enhance Indonesia’s humanitarian and disaster relief capabilities and support amphibious operations.”
... will get back to you.
FWIW, a longer term view on US/Indonesian security cooperation ... not sure if the current administration has bought into this. Pages 29-30 illustrate a ramping up of US dollar funds for security assistance, will try to find something more recent.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 7th Jul 2020 at 14:22.