PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2020, 14:04
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
keesje are you saying that because you were born after WWII you have a more objective view of it than those who were alive then? If so, why? You also seem to apply a moral equivalence to WWII in that good and bad people were on opposite sides, which were therefore neither all good nor all bad. Mr Spock would beg to differ with you. Your country was invaded and occupied by Germany despite being a neutral country. It suffered terribly as a result, especially in the final winter of the war. The tiny block on your graph misrepresents that suffering given that the total population was only a few million. For others (I'm sure that you are more than familiar with what was entailed) here is Wiki's account :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nether...Adolf%20Hitler.

You chose to post pictures of Dresden post its destruction by Bomber Command and the USAAF. Why stop there? Why not Cologne, Hamburg, Berlin, and half a hundred others? That is the price of war, and more to the point the price of Allied victory. If Dresden had been spared then the raid before it would simply have been featured in its place. Your seeming detachment from the rights and wrongs of this terrible conflict are hard to understand. Allied victory wasn't a given. The weapons that Germany was creating at the end were stillborn, other than the V1's and V2's (many launched against London from the Netherlands), but if the Bombing Campaign had not been conducted with the vigour that it was there were weapon systems that could have led to the irradiation of New York, and of course many other cities that were nearer. You have to fight a war with all that you have, or risk losing it. Manhattan was planned for Germany rather than Japan, but mercifully VE day intervened.

You seem to be aware of all this yet choose to summarise the Bombing Campaign, and by extension Harris, by :-

History will judge if knowingly killing so many innocent people without militairy goals will be translated into heroism or something else.
I'm afraid I find that glib and offensive, but then I was alive in WWII so am obviously incapable of being objective about it.