PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2020, 10:46
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have an agenda. I didn't live during the war, don't feel guild / pride. Do you have an agenda Herod?
It is irrelevant my family was "good" during the war, as far as good/bad goes.
But they had second thoughts looking back at what really had happened around them.

If we start to justifying bad events, mass killings, because of historical backgrounds, orders, perceived national values, "defending", or "interests", things can get real ugly.
As the unprecedented Bloody and Cruel (mechanized) twentieth century showed us.

Starting to accept you may not always be completely right and opponents not completely wrong, is a start. But, we were part of "something bigger" is always in.
That justification isn't understood by the victims (family's) though, facing the executors. It can be suppressed, but doesn't go away.

It's seldom all good / bad in war, although few deny the WW2 Nazi's inconceivable crimes against humanity at a large scale (just read an article on operation Tannenberg )

Looking at at the mortality WW2 numbers, they explain a lot of deep frustrations, traumas, aggression, taboos, choices and impact on societies.
E.g. why the Russian / Chinese were a kind of grumpy towards us, Europeans. They didn't start. For a few decades they weren't really listening to us..
It makes a difference if you are sending out troops, or your nice innocent neighbours getting killed by foreigners. It's the perspective I guess.

These day we have more open discussions then during the cold war, when teachers, tv & movies told us a clear story. We liked what we heard/ learned and didn't ask confusing questions.

Last edited by keesje; 7th Jul 2020 at 12:03.