PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 6th Jul 2020, 17:27
WB1900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Outlaw
WB1900,

Its the nature of the business. EK is in the business of making money for the city state, not to provide free money to people. Let's get real here. If you had a business selling tires would you continue to keep office staff, mechanics, accountants, sales people etc if all of a sudden people stopped buying tires for some reason? You might keep the tools knowing full well that you'd start the business again when people come back wanting a new set of white-walls.

While I have no love for EK, I understand that this is necessary in order to stay competitive for the long term. Granted they are making many people redundant in a rather terrible and unorthodox way, and it sucks to be on the wrong end of the letter/email/manager's desk but its a very real part of the highly cyclical nature of aviation worldwide.

It has been said here 1000's of times, you are only at EK/QR/ET etc. as long as you are needed. It never has and never will be "home" to anyone other than an Emirati.
agree so far that it might not be avoidable
but have they looked into every alternative - definitely not
business up or down - why do al sorts of companies around the globe a different approach as long as they can afford it - according to all the reports give by EK all the media presentation EK is definitely not in worst position to overcome the crisis - and yes I would show some humanity before I go to the worst measures, especially if I pull people into a place where it’s hard to get anywhere else - but that’s me.
fact is that EK had a lot of options

voluteering early retirment
following a seniority
unpaid leave
unpaid leave long term
if not enough volunteers - forced unpaid leave in revers senority order
lay-off with rehire on the same conditions and seniority
negotiate a lower base salary and temporary offset of provident
adjustment to housing allowance according to actual payments in mortgages - time limited

and on top of he wants to fly all 380 at beginning of 22, for this he needs to hire latest in August 21 - so that is 200m$ for 1 year without mentioned actions - at full pay to keep all of the pilots to start full gear again in 22 - but lives are not worth it even at times where humanity would be an important factor - he showed nothing but greed

just to a couple of ideas which come to my mind
at least a try to sort it out that’s way would have fair
and if all of that does not help than call it unavoidable

nothing absolutely nothing was considered except get ride of them