PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2020, 15:55
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Systemic Failure

Originally Posted by Chugalug2
There was gross systemic failure here and like other gross systemic failures revealed within this forum nothing was done to cure it, thus leading to yet more needless death.
Well Chug I for one think this is the real problem, and the limited scope of the legal charge that focused only on one person has certainly obscured the 'big picture'.
However does the proposed coroners input allow a wider view of this situation, and can it begin to give the relatives of those involved some indication of how AH was not the only one involved. As I have prev alluded, the display authorisation system was intended to give a greater element of safety control to the display world, was not too onerous to comply with, and not unreasonable in the context that in the norm pilots had to 'perform' in the aircraft of intended display, and demonstrate the manoeuvres intended. To a degree this became even more important as ex military jets came on the scene where pilots may not have the tot time or 'regular' flying on type to be as current compared to what would have been normal when in mil service. When you add display locations that are not 'fast jet friendly' in the case of an emergency landing or ' space' the DA system becomes even more important as especially with the added potential input of a display director*. This position* was not unknown in the display world before the actual formal DA system was instituted, and I well remember the classic Biggin Hill Air Fair events that were basically 'self governing' to a large degree but contained a high degree of oversight by a designated person. Needless to say certain 'jet teams' (not the Reds ) were not always totally compliant with the UK normal accepted rules and I well remember one year when the crowd got well and truly 'Dyed' after a rather low and close run by a certain team although I do not recall any complaints.** Sadly the display world 'as was' will never return in the UK despite it having a very reasonable safety record, and I feel that this is due to the 'System' failing in its duty rather than just an individual getting it wrong on the day. The question is will this be part of a coroners remit !!
** It was not repeated the next day so no doubt words were spoken that evening at the rather splendid party. (this system worked well)

Last edited by POBJOY; 7th Jul 2020 at 08:08.