PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the GA training industry walking blindfold over a cliff?
Old 6th Jul 2020, 14:24
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
So is it part of Belt and Road for China to come to Australia and invest in Australian GA training when no Aussies seem to want to, and provide jobs for hundreds of Australian flying instructors? Does part of the BRI involve turning disused strips of gravel like Merredin into world class aviation training aerodromes? If so sign us all up. They pull out and a whole bunch of Australian flying instructors (all of them at the start of their careers which I suspect very few posters here are) lose their jobs.

We already have far too many Australian pilots unemployed in 2020, and I don't want any more. I don't care about point scoring politics (no do the instructors and students at these schools), let us train as many as possible.

Are these chinese students training to Australian licence standards? Or do they follow a syllabus laid out by their bosses, but do not attempt a licence test here?
It would of course vary from school to school but here's the details at one of the most prominent:

Integrated Commercial Pilot Licence

They are trained to at least minimum CASA standards in conjunction with the CAAC. The flying training and instructors are regulated under Australian regs. All licence testing is done in the country. All that flight and ground training, testing, engineering and support keeps hundreds of Aussies employed in Aviation at the moment. Importantly, a lot of those in rural Australia.