PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2020, 13:00
aviation_enthus

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NilanaD
NEWBIE TO FLIGHT TRAINING, NEED HELP
Hello everyone, i am a current year 12 student hoping to start my flight training next year 2021, i have done a fair amount of research but i still have a lot of questions. I am located in NSW but don't mind going anywhere to train.

Currently i have a few options:
1) Qantas group pilot academy
2) UNSW
3) Griffith university
4) Flight training Adelaide

WHICH OPTION WOULD BE THE BEST FOR ME? My ultimate goal is to become a large airline pilot such as Qantas or Jetstar, i however am well aware this process will take a long time.

QUESTIONS:
1) Successful selection into the Qantas program is difficulty, any tips on getting selected? (high school results, flying hours, millitary experience)
2) Universities are seen as a bad option as they take too long, should i listen to this advice or pursuit university studies at Griffith or UNSW over a private flight school?
3) IS THERE REALLY A PILOT SHORTAGE?
4) Upon graduating at Griffith, do you obtain: PPL, CPL, ME CIR, ATPL?
5) Universities have the Qantas Future Pilot program, approximately how many student get selected to become Qantas pilots?

It would be really appreciated if these questions could be answered.
I’ll have a crack at the limited answers I can supply! Haha!

1) No idea about the QF academy but as far as school goes;
- finish Year 12
- passes in English, Maths B, Physics, Chemistry
That will set you up well no matter where you go in life. In the past these have been minimum requirements for some airlines and the RAAF

2) I went the self funded aero club path so can’t comment on the good/bad of University training. HOWEVER, all the naysayers on here will tell you now is a bad time to start training. So perhaps a course that finishes in 3 years could be an advantage in this current climate...

3) There has never been a ‘pilot shortage’. There has however been a shortage of experienced pilots. Basically with a CPL and IR you are all but useless to any employer. However once you get a +1000 hours and/or some turbine time, all of a sudden you will find doors start to open. Get a licence and get a job, after that you’ll find it easier, the first job is the hardest.

4) no idea. Check the website perhaps?

5) Again no idea. But given the current state of the industry, think about what YOU would do if you finish your training and QF aren’t hiring cadets?? During the GFC (2008) Qantas cadets were told ‘we don’t need you’, some of them waited 8-10 years for QF to call with a job offer.

A jet job with JQ/QF/VA may be the dream goal, but how are you going to get there? If you miss out on a Cadetship, you need to be ready to move north to find charter work or spend more $$$ to get an instructor rating and hope for work down south. Build the hours in GA and then apply to an airline once you have 1-2000 hours.