PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAL interview (merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2003, 05:19
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320Guy...
There were two similar threads about the CAL interview,so I'll take a shot at answering you both.

I can only give you my experience from back in February of this year. Mine seemed to be typical and I have talked to about 20 people who have done the process.

I first would make sure I was rested and in TPE as they ask you to be. You should stay at the current hotel which is the Asia World. The staff are nice people and the hotel is not the Taj Mahal. It is currently under renovation and will be affiliated with Holiday Inn in December, so lots of banging going on.

If you come in on CAL, I would make contact with the pilot crew or let the cabin crew know that you are going to an interview. In my case, I never saw the guys,but a few times it has become known. They might be able to get you a ride to downtown where the Crew center/simulator and interview is. The hotel is a short ride 1 1/2 from the Crew Center which is located on the TPE domestic Airport downtown.

I would ask the front desk where the Crew Lounge is and meet anyone who is willing to talk. Most pilots will talk more if you bring a six-pack to the 15th Floor! Green Cans preferred. (may be purchased at a close 7-11 or welcome store with credit card)

The alternative and perhaps favored if anyone comes with you or you have lots of luggage is to take the Green and White Free Go Bus (not free,but cheap) to the hotel.

Before the interview for 2-3 weeks, I would not drink large quantities of alcohol as this will not help your medical score. This will be very difficult for most pilots <bg>!

If your interview process starts on a Monday, then the interview is first in the morning and you do a quick written quiz. Know the difference in an ILS and an a REIL. KNow how they paint runways and know what happens in any airplane when the bank increases. (G load increase and drinks fall off of the trays).The questions are fairly simple for anyone who has a Commerical/Instrument/ATP.

The interview is an opportunity for you to tell them about your exploits and accomplishments and them to ask you questions.I found it very friendly, interesting, and a chance to you to tell them why you want to work in Taipei and for CAL. I think they'll tell you everything you want to know (although most can be found on this forum) about CAL.

I am sure every interview is different,but they'll probably ask you when could you start or you could ask THEM the same question. By that I mean, the process takes a month to evaluate you (most do survive) and then they have to do some Taiwan security checks which I recall take 4-6 weeks. I would guess that CAL is booked up with classes for 2-3 months anyway,so it is nothing like starting "this week". There was plenty of time to notify one's employer assuming you are currently working.

In my case, Tuesday was the simulator check andit was everything a PC should be. I had no idea of their checklists since I had never seen them. Their procedures are clearly different and actually CAL follow Boeing more closely than my previous employer. The bottom line is that they give you problems to make you go hold, watch you do checklists,and see if you can get the airplane back on the ground.

I personally asked some of the guys how they did and all they knew is that they got a 3 of 5 or a "C" which is all you want. My check airman was friendly and very experienced and I must have convinced him of a few things.

The medical is spread over 2 days and it is very extensive (see above). I think the medical may lose a few more than the rest combined. The Taiwan government administers the physicals and if something is wrong, you'll have the opportunity to fix it and take a recheck.

I found to be a good experience and CAL needs pilots, so if you want to work a lot, I would apply. Let me know if you need anything more specific. I may or may not know the answer.