PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 6th Jul 2020, 08:14
aviation_enthus

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozbiggles
Sighs deeply...Qantas,Jetstar and VA are not expanding but retrenching 1000s. They are not buying additional aircraft, Rex is talking about 10 jets probably one jet is worth what the cost of the clapped out 340 fleet is.
And why is that??

QF have a large international network (I think around 25% of their revenue). None of that flying will be returning any time soon. Plus it looks like the market will be smaller when it does. So they have to make people redundant simply cause they don’t need them anymore.

VA has been badly managed for the last 5-10 years. That aside, they also have international ops, so I’d argue even if they were in a better position financially, they’d still be making staff redundant.

Air NZ is the same. The domestic network may return to 80% capacity but the rest won’t = redundancies.

I’ll bet if Rex had international they’d be doing the same..... In fact there’s nothing to say they won’t have to make staff redundant in the future.