PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA 17yr old student crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2020, 03:03
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
If the airplane stall behavior is no longer on par with the certification requirements then its no longer airworthy.
Exactly!

I've done hundreds of maintenance check flights, and I always stall the plane a couple of times, before signing off on it. Trainers in particular must stall correctly, or I won't sign. If you're flying a trainer which does not stall and recover as it should, that's a snag, which requires rectification.

Though tread drift, I had occasion to flight test a 3 hour since new (so brand new) bushplane. I was flying it to assess an ski installation for approval. Stalls were a part of the assessment. No matter how carefully I entered the stall, the plane spun viciously. I landed, and reported the defect, suggesting that the plane should be returned to the manufacturer, to find out why it went 'round half a turn in a stall no matter what. The owner's pilot acknowledged this advice from me. A week or so later, prior to getting the plane back for the suggested conformity inspection, the same pilot stalled and spun after takeoff, killing himself and a passenger. My report played a role in the investigation. Other's of the same model plane were checked, and indeed, I flew another a month of so later, and it was a pussycat. It took more than a year to find the defect, but it was found, and no other non compliant planes were produced. It was found that the plane I had flown had not been stall checked on the type acceptance flight test. That pilot, sadly, died in a stall spin after takeoff of a different type a few years later.

Stall characteristics must be checked post any control/rigging maintenance!