PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inspector General report says Boeing shielded key 737 Max details from FAA
Old 5th Jul 2020, 18:48
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
WillowRun

I also think that Mr Dickson is the real deal, but money is the sincerest form of flattery. To achieve lasting, substantive, and effective change in the oversight of the ODA process and more broadly the relationship between Boeing and the FAA means a lot more money has to go to the FAA. That I think is where reality meets desire. I believe that there is a strong desire for change in the Legislative branch, the regulator and at the working level in Boeing. I just don't see the desire for change as strong enough to spend the money to truly fix the oversight process. That is why I think we will end up with lots of smoke and mirrors and "mission accomplished" press briefings, but at the end of the day minimal change.

This is not USA bashing as the exact same dynamic is going on in most other regulators. The COVID-19 pandemic has stressed public finances everywhere and so increasing budgets to federal departments is going to be a tough sell......