PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hey FAA,...you missed one! :-)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2020, 17:33
Robbiee

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
There's no need to flounce off Robbie - I was trying to make a serious point which seems forgotten in the argument - settling with power is to do with performance (or lack of it) but VRS is purely an aerodynamic condition.

How many Robinson pilots calculate their expected hover MAP and maximum MAP before they go flying? How many lfit to the hover and don't check to see if the expected MAP is the same as their actual MAP and then wonder why there might be a difference.

Now try coming to an OGE hover when your engine isn't performing properly or your blades are dirty (or even both) - you were expecting to have that performance but it's not there and you start to descend, immediate reaction is to raise the lever - cue Nr decay as the engine maxes out and an unwanted descent which, if you are lucky, will stop as ground effect saves you. You have just setlled with power but were not in IVRS or VRS.

That is why it is important to understand the difference, to make pilots aware that you must know your expected performance BEFORE you go flying rather than finding out the hard way.

The problem is, you can exceed your MAP and there are no flashing lights or klaxons in the cockpit so it is easily ignored but you are slowly trashing your engine.
So, basically what you're telling me is that you cannot differentiate between not using a term and not understanding performance issues,...got it.

Look, if you want to call having HOGE problems because of engine trouble and/or dirty blades "settling with power" then well,...bully for you!

The whole point of this fiasco is that the FAA has abandoned that term all together, yet in their effort to, "erase Moses' name from all of history", they missed one little inscription.

,...and I found that funny.

So, take it the wrong way, take offense, take unbridge, look down your noses at the "poorly trained Robbie pilot", I've seen it all before, knock yourselves out,..I just wish I had more whip cream for my cocoa!