PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Would You Do ? (2)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2020, 15:54
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
It's still in the green - continue - but monitor it (it's only a single indication) - and especially oil temp carefully. A correspondng variation in temp is reason to return.
I very much doubt any school or engineer would intervene on an indication on an old knocker of a 150 that's allegedly changed but still in the green. After all, what can/could they do?
I think that's what I'd do.

Years ago, while building time for my PPL I was doing circuits in a "well used" C-150 at a nearby country (it did service as the local drag strip on Friday and Saturday nights) airfield when I noticed the oil pressure dropping to nearly zero as I throttled back to idle at top of descent. I was already turning base, so keeping my altitude somewhat on the high side and throttle at idle, I completed my landing. As I exited the runway, I shut the engine down and coasted to a stop on the ramp. Surprised at my quick return for a full stop, the proprieter and local CFI, came out of his office and asked what was wrong. After I explained about the disappearing oil pressure, he shrugged his shoulders, saying: "It has always done that". Realizing that I would not get a full refund on my paid for hour's flying time, I foolishly fired up my (un)trusty steed and continued doing circuits for the balance of the hour's time. Of course, I kept my circuits " high and tight". These days, I'm older, not much wiser, but fully aware of my mortality, and I would've left the sorry C-150 in the chocks and have been much more forceful in demanding a refund.

Cheers,
Grog