PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hey FAA,...you missed one! :-)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2020, 11:34
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
How many Robinson pilots calculate their expected hover MAP
Sadly, there is no information in the POH that will allow that to be done.
and maximum MAP before they go flying?
That's a required, pre-takeoff checklist item. to calculate 5 minute max. and max. continuous vs. OAT. A lot of folks tend to forget about it after takeoff, though, and never look at the OAT again.
How many lfit to the hover and don't check to see if the expected MAP is the same as their actual MAP and then wonder why there might be a difference.
Again, you can't do that, but you can at least check to see how many inches of MP you've got under 5 minute max. and MCP, which is always a good thing to know.

Now try coming to an OGE hover when your engine isn't performing properly or your blades are dirty (or even both).
Dirty blades You know I bought myself a brand new, 8 foot tall ladder this Spring and promised myself I would work extra hard at keeping those blades clean this year. Haven't cleaned them once, yet But you are right about that.

The problem is, you can exceed your MAP and there are no flashing lights or klaxons in the cockpit so it is easily ignored but you are slowly trashing your engine.
Oh how I wish they would make a real power indicator for Robinson helicopters and include a high MP warning. There was rumor of Robinson working on a real EIS. If so I hope it comes in a form easily retrofitted to existing ships. With avionics technology today there really is no excuse for the engine steam gauges anymore. It's just common sense and good for safety.