PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who Would You Rather Fly With?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2020, 00:31
mindsneak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
I’d take option 3: None of the above.

Although it must be noted that a traumatic event in ones life does always not result in PTSD. Despite what you read, there are a surprisingLy large number of stoic and robust individuals in the profession.

I’d go so far as to say that because it’s such a brutal career to break into and progress in that it’s mainly those with traits of resilience, stoicism and robustness which survive long enough to accrue 10,000 hours.
You are of course right lucille that a traumatic event does not always result in PTSD. However, in the right circumstances it can and does happen.

It is far more likely that scenario 2 does currently occur in aviation throughout the world. Although of course everyone hopes that this would be a very rare occurrence and that most pilots would get treatment. Maybe the pilot in option 2 is trying to be stoic but is very clearly not succeeding, no one can endure pain or hardship forever without it significantly affecting them in negative ways. It would be wrong to suggest otherwise.

Besides, the main issue is not the PTSD itself, the main issue is not getting treatment for it and remaining silent out of fear of losing their livelihood, income etc. Which ironically enough would cause them to become even more unwell. That is what makes it so dangerous as you are likely never even going to know that the person you are flying with is struggling and currently completely untreated and potentially severely depressed. Maybe ignorance is bliss as to pilot 2's actual mental state, but ignorance can also be a very dangerous thing too.

Just on another note, saying that you wouldn't fly with either of them in my opinion is just as dangerous as well because you are then encouraging other people (especially the pilot in option 2) to not say anything at all and will therefore make it less likely that the pilot in scenario 2 gets treatment. The public perception that pilots are absolutely perfect and never succumb to any form of mental illness at all is down right dangerous.

I think CASA is making good progress in relation to these sorts of issues but there does need to be some more public awareness around it which is why the article back in the January edition of Australian flying is such an interesting read.

Anyways, just my opinion.