PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finland's air force quietly drops swastika symbol
Old 4th Jul 2020, 23:51
FlightlessParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
I'm just waiting for some woke idiot to declare the "thumbs up" signal to be racist or otherwise vile
When I went to live in Australia in the '60s, I was told that "thumbs up" was an obscene gesture, which being interpreted meaneth "sit on this." That sense seems to have fallen into desuetude with the passage of time, as I suspect will the appropriation of the OK gesture. Swastikas are different, and I must confess, until I recently discovered the history, I was surprised to see pictures of Finnish aircraft during the Winter and Continuation war wearing that symbol. "Weren't they good guys?" I thought, and then discovered they also got some arms from Germany. Now I understand it was a case of "my enemy's enemy," the same principle on which Churchill accepted an alliance with the USSR, and that swastikas had nothing to do with it. But still, that symbol is irretrievable in the Euro-American world (First Nations excepted).